Positive Thinking – Using Affirmations
An Affirmation is simply a statement that is repeated often enough that you believe it with every fibre of your being.
· Your Affirmations must be brief – ideally no more than 20 words.
· Your Affirmations must be written, clearly in your best writing
· Your Affirmations must be written in words you would normally use
· Your Affirmations must be positive
· Your Affirmations must be specific
· Your Affirmations must be about what you DO want, not about what you don’t want
· Your Affirmations must be in the present tense – as if they are already true
· Your Affirmations must be read (aloud if possible) at least four times daily
You need to be alert when you create and repeat your affirmations. If you drive you can record them to play in your car, even if you are totally focussed on driving safely they will still enter your mind at a subliminal level.
The best time of day to read your affirmations is when you get up in the morning. Repeat them again in the middle of the day and again when you finish work, then read them again before you go to bed.
To start with, avoid the temptation to set affirmations for material needs, wants and desires. Instead focus on your quality of life, your beliefs and your feelings.
Examine your feelings and where you find negative thoughts or feelings counter them with positive affirmations. The purpose of examining your feelings is to start creating a life that is free of struggle or emotional upheaval. A life that is full of love, pleasure and fulfilment. When you acquire that life you will have amazing freedom and time to explore options.
You were born with no excess baggage. Everything that you have been, done or acquired since then – good or bad- is of your own will and action. Others may have influenced you but the ultimate responsibility was and is yours. If you need to you CAN change any situation.
Some examples of inspiring affirmations are:
· I accept total responsibility for my life, thoughts and feelings
· I set myself high goals and achieve them
· I look to the future where my expectations are limitless
· I enjoy the beauty of each day
· My needs are met
· I use my skills and talents to the full
· If it is to be, it is up to me
· Every day, in every way, I am better and better