Following a comment from Reese Witherspoon “I’m not ready to marry Jake, I don’t know how I feel about marriage. Obviously, I’m not far enough out of being married to think about doing it again.” I was asked to join a discussion on BBC Radio Berkshire about when is the right time to remarry. Obviously this will be different for everyone but there are things that it is important to consider before deciding to get married again:
1. Can you be totally honest with your partner?
2. Do you know each others attitudes towards children, finances, family, religion, etc?
3. Are you able to really talk to your partner? Are you friends as well as lovers?
4. Do you have separate as well as joint hobbies & interests?
5. Do you have joint goals for your future?
6. Why are you considering marriage, is it:
a) because of fear, loneliness or a need for security? (not good reasons)
b) are you already secure and fulfilled and marriage will just be the ‘icing on the cake’?
7. How do you know your partner loves you? What does he/she need to do to reassure you? Do you know what you need to do to reassure your partner that you love him/her?
8. Have you thought about why your previous marriage didn’t work and are you sure that you are not repeating the same mistakes?
If you have any questions about this please don’t hesitate to e-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why not sign up for my monthly newsletter on my website